The Sunshine Coast Resource Centre offers two free services for those who need legal support.
As a Community Partner with the Legal Services Society (LSS) the Resource Centre can connect you to Legal Aid and information on a wide range of legal issues. They can help you:
- Apply for legal aid representation (if financially eligible).
- Call the Family Law Line to access legal advice on family law issues (divorce/separation, child custody, division of assets/debts, protection orders etc.).
- Find other free legal information and resources on a wide range of topics.
- Get access to basic court forms and find court services.
- Provide referrals to local and provincial legal organizations and resources.
- Provide referrals to local lawyers, mediators and notary publics.
Funded by the Law Foundation of BC, this program offers a free service to Sunshine Coast community members who are unable to afford traditional legal advice or representation. Residents can receive support, guidance and where possible, full client representation at hearings and tribunals.
Their Community Legal Advocate can assist with the following issues:
- Residential Tenancy Issues
- Income Assistance applications and appeals
- Disability Assistance and appeals
- Employment problems
- Human rights issues
- Other areas where a different way to resolve a dispute is the preferred solution to the courts
The Resource Centre also recommends these websites:
For general Covid-19 legal topics, ClickLaw is a good resource.